If the stakeholders in your city are at war over “to airbnb” or “not to airbnb”, it is sometimes wise to start by focusing on the smallest first step — airbnb host-resident “Private Room” Rentals in single family homes with a maximum of 1 or 2 bedrooms.
Many airbnb hosts fall into this category and the chance of irritating neighbors and generating an airbnb Horror Story is practically nil.
It is important that:
- The cost to become licensed is reasonable (between $50 to $300 per year)
- Lodging Tax, if applicable, is collected and remitted to The City
- The License Number appear in all print and online advertising
- A basic home inspection is required to verify that rented bedrooms meet city code for a “legal” bedroom and there is no “imminent danger”.
- Basic safety gear and contact information is provided
Possible options. If additional limitations were required, your city could consider:
- Limiting the number of days per month or year that bedrooms can be rented
- Limiting the specific areas of town where rentals would be permitted